Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Time Has Arrived

The Time For Transformation Has Arrived

So here’s the deal.  I have a great deal of areas in my life that I have been ignoring for too long.  Way too many areas.  It is high time to rectify those problem areas; time to rebuild altars to the Lord where the ungodly altars have been established for far too long.  Some of these altars were torn down at one point or another, but they have all been in place for far too long and merely continue to grow.  For when a problem is neglected, it ferments and becomes much more potent.

Cultural Detox Is The Beginning

For the remainder of June, my computer/internet time will consist of little more than checking emails in the morning and checking emails in the afternoon.  No Instant Messenger.  No hours spent squandering precious seconds into minutes and hours.  No video games.  No browsing myspace profiles.  No downloading the hottest, latest, greatest programs.  No web searches.  Email.

Radical Change Demands Radical Changes

I have done it before and I will do it again.  This time for real.  Cable and internet go away on July 1st.  I am sick of wasting time.  You see, it is not simply my time that is wasted.  It is not simply my innocence that is sacrificed through popup ads, over sexualized imagery, and reading horrible things that people type.  It is a spiritual battle.  “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” (Ephesians 6:12).  Life is a spiritual battle.  I have allowed the internet to creep in once again and hinder my fighting the good fight.

Responsibility Ushers In Discipline

I am responsible for this, and I accept that responsibility.  I must now take the responsibility to overcome these problems.  As a result, I stand here at the brink of life-altering changes.  When I did this once before, it was wonderful seeing the growth I experienced.  Now I am committing to a much longer period of freedom from the net.  It is definitely for at least a year.  In June of 2007, I will reexamine to see where things stand and see if I want to bring it back in.

Discipline Leads To The Path Of Righteousness

As I become more disciplined in my life, I will spend more time seeking the Lord.  This discipline will come in some key areas.  Specifically, I envision becoming more disciplined in:

Prayer Time
Free Time
Bible Study
Exercise Habits
Eating Habits
Spending/Saving Habits (Thank you Dave Ramsey)
Thought Patterns – specifically regarding lust issues
Sleep Habits (without television or internet, why not go to sleep earlier?)

Righteousness Leads To The Face of God

As I shed these things, I will outwardly demonstrate the inward change.  Just as when Moses’ face shone after he spent time in communion with God on the Mount, so will my countenance become brighter.  Additionally, I expect to lose weight as a result of being more attentive to the foods I eat and the amount of exercising that I do.

So Does This Mean Complete Internet Rejection?

Absolutely not.  I am fortunate that I have a notebook computer that has a built in wireless receiver.  I am also fortunate that I live in a place where there are a handful of free wireless networks lingering around town.  I will experiment with them some over the next few weeks.  Sending and receiving emails through Outlook (write and read offline, upload and download online), publishing occasional blog posts, and catching up on podcasts should all be things that minimal internet connectivity through free wireless networks will handle.

No comments:

Great Articles