Sunday, May 28, 2006

Cultural Detox

Cultural Detox

I am not yet sure what all will be entailed in this ordeal, and it will undoubtedly be a work in progress.  What I know is that too much of the world’s culture has been allowed to creep into my life and I want to expel as much of it as I can.  So it is time to do just that.

A Summer of Sacrifice

This summer – definitely during the months of June and July, I am going to make some changes.  Some will be more painful than others, and yet whatever the case, they will all be changes made toward the end of reaching a goal.  That goal is one of transformation in my outlook.

Satisfied with Dissatisfaction

You see, at least in my life, I see a great ill.  I see it in the lives of most people, but I know not the cause.  In me, the problem is simply a matter of being dissatisfied with what I have.  I am not happy with what God has divinely ordained for me to have.  As a result of this dissatisfaction, I seek something better.  The whole “grass is greener on the other side” syndrome.  The grass only appears greener.

STUFF DOESN’T SUFFICE

My life experience, limited though it may be, has proven to me over and over again that when I acquire things, when I achieve recognition, when I accomplish tasks, and when I attain goals, I am always left with a sense of lack.  That sense of lack is there for a purpose!  Jesus advised us to, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses” (Luke 12:15).

Did you get that?  Life is not about stuff.  When our lives revolve around stuff, Jesus calls that covetousness.  That’s greed.  That’s one of the so-called Seven Deadly Sins.  Ouch.  So what does that mean?

The Plan

This will be a summer of spiritual conquest in my life.  It will be a summer of overcoming the flesh.  I do not know what all will be entailed in this.  I will assume that there will be some fasting involved.  I am waiting on the leading of the Holy Spirit in some areas.  What I do know, is that I am going to go on a “Fast Food Food Fast” this summer.  That means, I will not eat anything from McDonalds, Jack In The Box, Wendy’s, whatever.  I may still do the occasional Subway or Quizno’s, but we shall see.  This goes in line with my “Total Money Makeover” (ala Dave Ramsey) in that it helps me save money.  It also will help me to avoid overindulgence in really unhealthy foods.

God is the source of all true satisfaction.  Not stuff.  Not food.  Not video games.  Not television.  It’ll be a fun ride!

No comments:

Great Articles