Monday, September 25, 2006

The Blessings of Obedience

I am amazed by how easy it has been for me to completely get rid of my home Internet access. Just as with most things that we do, the challenge lies not in doing it, but the challenge lies in beginning to do it. As strange as this may sound, it seems more frightening that it has been. There have been a few minor adjustments, though.

I have to pay bills with checks in the mail rather than online. I have to wait until I get my bank statement before I can reconcile the accounts. I have to find new ways to fill my free time; things such as cleaning, spending time with friends, listening to sermons, doing my job more effectively, walking my dog, and other things that normal people do (or at least things most people did much more often ten years ago).

Technology is both a blessing and a curse. I love being able to take my notebook up somewhere with wireless internet, and catch up with friends from home or friends who have moved away from here. It takes me usually about 30 minutes a few times a week to do all of that. I now struggle to remember how I spent entire days online in the past. And yet I have been known to do just that more than a few times. Perhaps it is just a problem that I have.

On the other hand, I am excited to see financial matters beginning to shape up. I had two wisdom teeth removed a couple of weeks ago and will have some other dental work done in a couple more weeks. I will be able to pay for it all (over $1,000) with little difficulty. It slightly delays paying off my credit cards, but it is something I've needed to have done for nearly 5
years.

Finally, I seriously want to go overseas this summer to do short-term mission work. A friend of mine went to Equatorial Guinea this summer to evangelize and help build some there with some missionaries that our church supports. If he goes back next year, I want to be able to go with him. Getting my finances in order will be a great way to be able to comfortably do that also. When I decide to do it, I will begin seeking financial assistance from friends. If you read this, feel free to pray for direction with that whole thing also.

No comments:

Great Articles