Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hypocrisy

Hypocrisy

I know I am probably far behind everyone else on this.  I have just realized something.  Hypocrisy is not exclusively saying one thing while planning to do another thing entirely.  That is hypocrisy, but so is saying something, planning to do that same thing, and yet for whatever reasons doing something quite the opposite.

Specifically, the first instance would more accurately be called duplicity and the second instance could be called insincerity.  But they are simply the two natures of hypocrisy.  From one standpoint, duplicity is the most harmful because it is done intentionally by one person to another.  On the other hand, for the person who is unintentionally insincere, the insincerity can be quite deceptive.

Consider weight loss.  How many people proclaim that they are “turning over a new leaf” or embarking on a plan to lose X number of pounds only to gain X number of pounds instead or at best maintain the same weight?  How many people begin an exercise plan and do nothing to follow through.  Personally, the answer to both of those questions would be innumerable.

So I come to discover that I am hypocritical in far more areas than I had previously realized.  God help me!

No comments:

Great Articles